Saturday, January 08, 2005

Bush advocates limiting asbestos cases

I have to formally object to this one.

As a former shipyard worker with documented pleural thickening of the lung lining, I don't believe I should seek compensation until it is certain that my health will be adversely affected. On the other hand, I certainly don't want my ability to seek compensation taken off the table for any reason.

When it becomes known or suspected that a product in wide industrial use is causing illness and death through exposure to the work force, and the bottom line of the manufacturer is more important than acting on that knowledge to reverse or halt the situation... the manufacturer should be liable.

No amount of monetary award can change the outcome of asbestosis, but I subscribe to the misery loving company premise.

No comments: